A holiday menu featuring quality… not quantity is a delicious and classy way to lower holiday stress.
Callicoon Kitchen’s Roasted Beet and Quinoa Salad with a Citrus Vinaigrette is the perfect vegan dish to inspire this new tradition.
- 8 shallots
- 3 golden beets
- 1 ½ c cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ c cooked baby black lentils
- 2 Clementines chopped
- Handful raw unsalted pistachios
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch salt pepper
- ½ c fresh mint chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Juice and Zest of ½ orange
- ½ c extra virgin Olive oil
- ¼ c golden balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and halve shallots then toss with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes then uncover and bake additional 15 minutes then remove from oven and set aside.
Cut greens from beets leaving about 1 inch of stem on the top then rinse well under cold water. Place cleaned beet on foil and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of Kosher salt. Wrap up in foil and bake for approx.. 45 minutes (larger beets may take a little longer.) Pierce beet with a sharp knife ..when knife goes through without resistance the beet are fully cooked.. Remove beets from oven and let cool. Once cool peel outer layer of beets and dice.
While shallots and beets are in the oven cook black lentils and quinoa per package instructions and set aside.
To prepare Citrus Vinaigrette combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well until combined. Be sure to whisk again prior to use.
In a large mixing bowl combine quinoa, lentils, beets, shallots, Clementines, mint and pistachios and mix to combine. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a white platter and garnish with sliced pear s and crushed pistachios. Enjoy!
You can use only quinoa and/or black lentils if needed. Substitute walnuts or pecans for pistachios as desired.
Check out www.callicoonkitchen.com to watch Ron prepare the dish!
Latest posts by Ron Badach (see all)
- Tropical Baby Potato Salad with Papaya Vinaigrette - April 30, 2018
- Asian Glass Noodle Salad - March 6, 2018
- Gourmet Vegan Red Quinoa and Black Bean Chili - February 7, 2018
- Spinach Dumplings with a Tangy Twist - December 21, 2017
- Tropical Kale Salad: A Tantalizing Summer Dish - August 12, 2017