Callicoon Kitchen achieves vegan chili perfection with its Red Quinoa & Black Bean Chili.
Black lager plus roasted tomatoes and garlic give this awesome chili added body, texture and intense flavor taking this fall classic to new heights! (Check out the demo video below.)
- 3½ cups plum tomato
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 c sweet Vidalia onion
- 2 jalepeno peppers
- 2 c red quinoa, cooked
- 2½ tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp high quality cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 fifteen-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle of high quality dark beer
- 1 can dark red kidney bean, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ c fresh corn
- ½ c cilantro, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook quinoa per package instructions and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350. Cut plum tomatoes into 1-inch cubes and place in mixing bowl. Add 10 peeled garlic cloves then coat with 2 tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well then spread evenly on lined baking pan. Cook for 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Separate out garlic and give a rough chop. Set aside. Note: If desired you can slice any larger tomato pieces but they will break down in the chili.
Dice onion then seed and mince jalapeño peppers and set aside. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large deep pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 4 minutes Then add tomato and garlic mixture, cooked quinoa, water, tomato sauce, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, paprika, sugar, cayenne and beer. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover pot and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Add in kidney beans, black beans, corn, chopped cilantro, lime juice and zest and cook about 5-10 mins until heated through. Serve warm topped with avocado chunks and vegan cornbread. Enjoy!
If mixture gets too thick just thin with water until desired consistency
Be sure to roast tomatoes, so much better than canned! Always use fresh corn.
Latest posts by Ron Badach (see all)
- Tropical Baby Potato Salad with Papaya Vinaigrette - April 30, 2018
- Asian Glass Noodle Salad - March 6, 2018
- Gourmet Vegan Red Quinoa and Black Bean Chili - February 7, 2018
- Spinach Dumplings with a Tangy Twist - December 21, 2017
- Tropical Kale Salad: A Tantalizing Summer Dish - August 12, 2017