I love southern comfort food… even in the hot summer months!
It is always challenging to take a favorite comfort food and make it delicious, healthy, and vegan. This easy vegan recipe takes a classic, grits, and gives you a dish that you can feel good about eating. It is yummy, creamy, and extremely satisfying!
- 1/4 cup organic yellow stone ground grits (polenta)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (low or no sodium)
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper of choice, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup cooked vegan sausage crumbles
- 2 sun dried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds of choice
- dash hot sauce (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- black ground pepper to taste
Cook grits according to package directions, using the vegetable broth instead of water.
Saute the vegan sausage crumbles, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms in a little olive oil and add to cooked grits.
Add the sun dried tomatoes, earth balance, vegan cheese, hot sauce, pepper and salt to taste. Stir over low heat until cheese has melted.