Simplicity never tasted so good. This Callicoon Kitchen recipe blends tender, velvety escarole with hearty white beans and adds a dash of heat to perfectly balance this White Bean and Escarole Soup … an old time classic that never goes out of style.
Classic White Bean and Escarole Soup
- 1 head fresh escarole
- 3 organic Roma tomatoes
- ½ minced Serrano pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 organic carrots
- 32 ounce vegetable stock
- 1½ tbsp fresh thyme (leave a few sprigs to garnish)
- 1½ c Great Northern Beans or Cannellini (If dried beans soak overnight and cook al dente . Substituting high quality canned is OK)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
Rough chop fresh escarole then soak in a cold water bath and drain a few times until water is clear then set aside.
Dice garlic, carrots and tomatoes then seed and fine chop Serrano pepper. Take ½ c of beans and mash with back of a fork … remaining beans can be left whole.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot over a medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Then add carrots, serrano pepper and ½ c vegetable stock and cook for 5 minutes. Then add escarole and cook down, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Finally add tomatoes, thyme, tomato paste, chili flakes, whole and mashed beans and remaining stock and allow to simmer 15 minutes. Check for seasoning then salt and pepper to taste.
Serve up immediately with grilled sourdough or ciabatta and garnish with a few sprigs of fresh thyme and drizzle with high quality olive oil, Enjoy!
Keep the soup at a simmer (do not boil!)
For a milder soup omit Serrano pepper.
Make this delicious, easy vegan recipe with me as I demo the process HERE! Enjoy!
Latest posts by Ron Badach (see all)
- Tropical Baby Potato Salad with Papaya Vinaigrette - April 30, 2018
- Asian Glass Noodle Salad - March 6, 2018
- Gourmet Vegan Red Quinoa and Black Bean Chili - February 7, 2018
- Spinach Dumplings with a Tangy Twist - December 21, 2017
- Tropical Kale Salad: A Tantalizing Summer Dish - August 12, 2017