Simple solution for starting your day off with a blast of nutrition!
If you are like me and start your day long before the sun comes up chances are that you hit the snooze alarm 3 or 12 times then never have enough time to get everything done before heading out the door and dealing with morning traffic on the way to work.
With this type of schedule the most important meal of the day often becomes the most skipped meal of the day. One of my favorite ways to get fast, and more importantly healthy, meal in on the run is to make a smoothie for breakfast. These take less than 10 minutes to make.
You can even pre-stage the ingredients the night before by storing all the fruit, seeds, and greens you plan to blend in a container in the refrigerator so that all you have to do is dump it in your blender, add your choice of liquid base and blend!
In addition to being easy and quick to make, green smoothies are incredibly healthy and a great way to get a ton of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
One of my favorite recipes that will give you 2 servings of fruits, 2-4 servings of greens and boost of superfoods is my typical go-to early morning breakfast.
In a high-powered blender (I use a Vitamix) combine the following:
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk (I like almond or cashew) or water
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 banana
- 2-4 cups of leafy greens (I like kale, spinach, collard greens, and dandelion greens — if you are new to green smoothies use equal amounts of fruits and greens until you can handle the bitterness of the greens! Then go wild with them, I usually use 3-5 cups of greens.)
- 1-2 tbsp. of peanut or almond butter
- 1 tbsp. of chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. of hemp seeds
- 1-2 tbsp. of ground flax seeds / flax meal
- Blend for 30-60 seconds and enjoy. If you’re in a hurry throw it in a blender bottle and go!
- Extra large Beavis and Butthead mug is optional!
Stay Strong AND Healthy!
Latest posts by Scott Shetler (see all)
- The Veg Effect - June 20, 2016
- Introduction to Qigong Part 2: Applications and Styles. - April 28, 2016
- Introduction to Qigong Part 1: What is Qigong? - March 25, 2016
- Breathe from your abdomen for optimal health and relaxation. - December 24, 2015
- Blend Your Breakfast for Fast and Simple Nutrition! - October 29, 2015