Next time you or your family is craving a special breakfast, try this Tasty AND Healthy Vegan Pancake Recipe!
Pancakes are among the most liked breakfast foods around the world. A variety of ways to make them exist, some recipes proving more nutritious than others. Due to the fat and sugar content in many recipes, they tend to be very high in calories, especially when topped with syrup and butter.
Luckily, it’s very easy to make nutritious and delicious vegan pancakes at home. Eating a healthier version of traditional pancakes can provide macro and micronutrients that keep you satisfied and energized for hours.
In order to make your pancakes healthier consider adding chopped, mashed or grated fruits to the batter. Vegetables (sweet potatoes and pumpkins) and orange fruits are a good addition as they contain carotenoids, nutrients that are known to lower the risk for cancer, heart disease, and muscular degeneration. This nutrient also helps improve the immune functions of your body.
You will be able to deliver delicious pancake if you adopt the following tips when cooking.
- Pancakes are very delicate and need even heat not high heat. Allow your pan or skillet a long while so as to evenly warm up. This will ensure heat is well distrusted throughout the pan otherwise, the pancakes will just be unevenly cooked.
- Do not rush your pancakes, cook them slow and on low. Also, ensure most of the cooking is done on the first side of the pancake. As this happens the pan should remain fully warmed and should persist cooking on low settings. Flip the pancake to the other side when the bubbles break through and its edges start to crisp up.
- Before spreading your batter, splash good amount of oil on the pan or skillet.
- Since this is a vegan recipe no egg will be used, therefore we use an egg replacer. The replacer will add body and improve binding to your pancake. Some of the most common egg replacers include mashed banana, ground flax seeds, and applesauce.
- Whipping your batter thoroughly will ensure it gets some air. This will help you to make fluffy and delicious pancakes. Ensure you use just the right amount of lemon juice (citric acid) combine with baking powder.
Healthy Lemon Vegan Pancake Recipe
Time: 40 minutes | servings: 8 small or 4 large pancakes |cuisine: breakfast | recipe type: vegan
- 1 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1 cup nondairy milk (almond or soy milk)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Tsp. fresh zest
- Tsp. lemon extract
- tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. raw vegan sugar
- tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 mashed banana (egg replacer)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a narrowly rimmed and tall bowl, this allows more air into the batter. Add all the wet ingredients (almond milk, all extracts, and oil), lastly combine them with the zest, lemon juice and the mashed banana. Whip your batter thoroughly as the baking powder combine with the acid it will become fluffy.
- As you whip you batter, you should be warming your skillet or pan. Put your cooker on low setting so as to evenly distribute heat to your pan. Remember you want an evenly warmed and toasty pan for better results.
- Once your pan is well warmed (after about 3-5 minutes), splash a small amount of oil to the pan. Roll the pan around to ensure the oil is spread evenly on the pan.
- Add a good amount of the fluffy batter and let it spread evenly in the pan. Maintain your cooker on low setting and let your pancake cook slowly, you will notice tiny bubbles forming through the batter’s surface. When these bubbles start breaking, and the edges of the pancake are formed, fluffy, cooked and not wet flip your pancake. Since most of the cooking was done on the first side, you can set your cooker to medium setting to get things done quickly.
- Remove the pancake from the pan and place it on a paper toweled plate. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all your batter is no more.
- Serve the warm pancakes with maple syrup and vegan butter.
Number of calories: 230 | Carbohydrates: 30g | Proteins: 6g | Fats: 8g | Saturated fats: 2g | Fiber 3g
Latest posts by SexyFitVegan (see all)
- 3 Top Tips for Traveling Like a Sexy Fit Vegan Pro - June 10, 2019
- Why You’ll Never Arrive at Your Happy Place (And Why This is Good News!) - June 6, 2019
- Lessons from “Those People” Who Walk Their Dogs in Strollers - April 29, 2019
- How to Change the Stories Keeping You Stuck to Turn Your Dreams Into Reality - March 4, 2019
- You Do NOT Have to Go to Work Today! - January 7, 2019