It’s Veganuary! Veganuary began in 2014 by a UK nonprofit organization and is an annual challenge that promotes and educates people about veganism by encouraging them to follow a vegan lifestyle for the month of January.
*Links mentioned in the episode are at the bottom of this page.
Participation in Veganuary has more than doubled each year since 2014. Now, it is a worldwide event inviting people to explore vegan life for the month of January.
With the worldwide reach, we always get some really great questions during the month of January. These days you can go just about anywhere and get vegan recipe ideas or suggestions about staying true to your commitment to eating plant-based, but where can you go to get your embarrassing questions answered?
HERE! No topic is off-limits on The Vegan Life Coach Podcast!
In this light-hearted episode, we answer a few of those hard-to-ask questions that are common among vegan newbies.
I’m on day 11 of Veganuary, and I am really GASSY!! HELP! Is this going to regulate or do I just need to accept that this is the new me?
- The short answer is that as your body adjusts, you are sure to experience less gas. Right now, you are likely getting a lot more fiber than you are used to, and eating foods that are new or in larger quantities, can mean you body needs some time to adjust. This is your gut making the way for a healthier microbiome, so even though being gassy can be uncomfortable or even embarrassing, it’s a sign that your body’s digestive system is working hard to make the shift.
- A few things that can help:
- Introduce new foods slowly so your gut bacteria has time to adjust.
- Hydration! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
- Chew your food thoroughly (I’m talking about chewing your food to a paste before swallowing… 20-30 chews!).
- Rinse your beans very well and/or use a pressure cooker.
- Ginger and peppermint help soothe the digestive system.
- A probiotic can help, but getting some prebiotic and probiotic foods will help more. Up your intake of fermented foods like kimchi, miso, sauerkraut, pickles.
What’s the deal with soy? Am I really going to grow man boobs if I start eating tofu?
We don’t find plastic surgeons telling women who want to augment their breasts to eat more tofu, right? This confusion is a case of wild rumors being blown out of proportion.
- Read THIS Sexy Fit Vegan blog post to discover the truth about soy.
- The phytoestrogens found in plant foods like tofu are not the same as the hormone estrogen. The risk for consuming high amounts of estrogen comes with the territory when consuming animals products and biproducts, particularly dairy.
- Speaking specifically of man boobs, the medical term for this is gynocastomia, and this condition is linked to any kind of hormone imbalance. The truth is that soy has not been linked to gynocastomia. You see this condition a lot in bodybuilders who take steroids, NOT those who eat tofu!
I’m embarrassed to ask this question, because I think I should know, but what’s the difference between vegetarian, vegan, and plant based? Are they just synonyms or what?
Being vegan is a way of life based on the idea that all living beings deserve to be respected and loved, and not exploited for any reason. Vegans do their best to avoid contributing to the suffering of animals. This means avoiding leather, products tested on animals, etc.
Plant-based is simply a diet that consists of mostly plants. And vegetarian is a diet free from animal flesh, but can include animal biproducts such as milk, cheese, eggs, and honey.
Do vegans really taste better?
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Take Our New Going Vegan Quiz HERE!
Vegan Life Coach Academy (Doors opening soon – for 48 hours only so get on the waitlist HERE!)
Live Ultimate (the supplement I mention in the intro)
CONNECT WITH US!
Grab the valuable gift we have for you HERE.
Have a question you’d like us to answer, or feedback you’d like to give us (we love hearing from you!)? Leave us a voice (or written) message HERE.
Interested in receiving a free coaching session to air on an upcoming episode? Apply HERE.
Latest posts by SexyFitVegan (see all)
- Dear Introverts… - July 1, 2022
- Burn-Out, Insomnia, Psychedelics & More [An Intimate Share💖] - May 5, 2022
- Time to Celebrate! (EP 100: The Vegan Life Coach Podcast) - March 29, 2022
- Leveling Up to Solutionary Veganism (EP 99: The Vegan Life Coach Podcast) - March 1, 2022
- The Art and Science of Journaling (EP 98: The Vegan Life Coach Podcast) - February 22, 2022