They may be small, but hemp seeds pack a big, nutritious punch!
Hemp seeds can be considered a super food because of their dense nutritional profile…
- High in digestible protein. Hemp seeds contain all 20 essential amino acids. They are low in the amino acid leucine however, so we need to get leucine from additional sources of protein such as soybeans and lentils.
- Perfect balance of omega fatty acids. Hemp seeds have a 3:1 omega 6 to omega 3 ratio which is perfect for good health (learn more about essential fatty acids HERE).
- Good source of soluble and insoluble fiber which help keep our digestive tract clean and functioning at the highest level.
- High in phyto-nutrients, especially magnesium, calcium, and vitamin E.
- Uniquely high in GLA (gamma linolenic acid), an anti-cancer compound.
Besides being so nutritious, hemp seeds also have a great, nutty flavor and crunch! I use them daily in different ways. Here are some simple suggestions:
- Add to super food/protein shakes (to learn how to create your own super food shakes and smoothies, check out the ebook here).
- Sprinkle on fruit (I love them on pineapple).
- Sprinkle on vegan yogurt.
- Add to hot or cold cereal.
- Sprinkle on salad.
- Sprinkle on vegan ice cream (yum!)
Hemp seeds are easy to find at your local health food store or order online from retailers such as Amazon. Here are some of the brands I’ve tried and liked (with links to order) but I’m sure there are tons of quality brands out there…
Try adding 2-3 heaping tablespoons of to your diet daily to experience all the short and long-term benefits hemp seeds have to offer!
Photo Credit: www.figgyandsprout.com
Latest posts by SexyFitVegan (see all)
- 4 Steps for a Vegan Thanksgiving to Remember (Forget Surviving… Thrive!) - November 20, 2019
- Mindful Eating: Why and How - July 29, 2019
- My Story in a Nutshell - July 29, 2019
- 3 Top Tips for Traveling Like a Sexy Fit Vegan Pro - June 10, 2019
- Why You’ll Never Arrive at Your Happy Place (And Why This is Good News!) - June 6, 2019