When Veganuary’s communications coordinator, Michelle Valoz, reached out to ask if I’d like to collaborate on an Instagram reel in January…
I was thrilled for the opportunity to encourage thousands of people to adopt a plant-based diet and embrace a vegan lifestyle through their non-profit platform!
She let me know that Veganuary gathered a panel of experts to determine 2024’s official Vegetable of the Year. The panel determined that the purple sweet potato was the winner, and was hoping I’d be up for sharing a plant-based recipe.
The purple sweet potato is a powerhouse when it comes to nutrition. I often talk about “eating the rainbow” and the vibrant purple color of this potato comes from disease-fighting antioxidants called anthocyanins. According to a 2021 study in Antioxidants, the high antioxidant content in purple sweet potatoes fights inflammation and helps reduce our risk for heart disease and cancer. These root tubers are packed with fiber, vitamin C and potassium. As part of a whole foods plant-based diet, eating sweet potatoes can contribute to weight loss, improved immunity and heart health.
Below you’ll find the plant-based recipe I created specifically for this Veganuary collaboration. Make sure you check out the reel on Instagram too!
If you know me, you know that I’m all about helping people build a healthy RELATIONSHIP with food and their bodies. This means that I put a huge emphasis on HOW and WHY we eat (not just WHAT we eat), which makes sense considering 80-90% of people who lose weight through dieting gain it all back. For that reason I added a few tips on eating consciously and mindfully at the end of the recipe!
Purple Sweet Potato: Loaded with Love (a Veganuary Special Recipe!)
Makes 2 meals (with the possibility of leftovers)
*use organic whenever possible!
- 2 large Purple sweet potatoes (or sweet potato variety of choice)
- 1 15-oz can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups raw Broccoli florets, rinsed
- A few sprays of Extra virgin olive oil or vegetable broth
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning (or seasoning of choice, like the spice mix in this recipe from Rabbit & Wolves)
Kale Bed (adopted from my Noochylicious Kale Salad Recipe)
- 1 bunch of Kale, destemmed, rinsed and chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Noochylicious nutritional yeast (by far the BEST tasting nooch I’ve ever had!)
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning (or seasoning of choice)
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- A pinch of Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees
- Line 1 small and 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Poke holes in the potatoes with a fork.
- Place them on small baking sheet and roast for 35-50 minutes (depending on the size of the potato) until the skin has puffed slightly and it’s easy to pierce with a fork
Broccoli & Chickpeas
- Toss broccoli florets with a few sprays of extra virgin olive oil or vegetable broth
- Spread broccoli onto one half of the large baking sheet
- Spread the rinsed chickpeas on a kitchen towel, pat dry, and remove loose skins
- Toss the rinsed chickpeas in a bowl with a few sprays of extra virgin olive oil or vegetable broth, and a few dashes of Slap Ya Mama seasoning or seasoning of choice
- Spread seasoned chickpeas onto the other half of the large baking sheet
- Place in oven and roast 15-25 minutes
- Combine tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and water in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended (if you double the recipe, you have the option of using a blender)
- In a large bowl, add chopped kale
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice and massage the kale with your hands until it becomes soft
- Add the nutritional yeast and seasoning and mix thoroughly
- Distribute the kale so that it’s covering the bottom of the plate.
- Place one of the potatoes onto the middle of the plate, cut it in half, and score it with a fork
- Place some broccoli on top of the potato halves.
- Drizzle tahini dressing over the broccoli.
- Add some chickpeas on top.
- Pause before you eat to consciously connect with the extraordinary plants on your plate that have the power to heal, nourish, and fuel our bodies, and the fabulous feeling that comes when we choose compassion.
- Eat mindfully, chewing each bite to a paste before swallowing, paying attention to all your senses, and listening to your body so you’ll know when you’ve had enough (stopping when you’re about 80% full and saving the rest as leftovers).
I also want to invite you to take advantage of the following fabulous resources to help you on your plant-based/vegan journey…
Take on the 22Reboot Challenge – The ultimate 22-day transformation system… The simplest, most effective path to a healthy, sustainable lifestyle you can be proud of.
Interested in working with me (group or 1:1 coaching)? Email me directly: [email protected]
Latest posts by Ella Magers, MSW (see all)
- The Evolution of Sexy Fit Vegan: 2024 - February 10, 2024
- Magic Mushroom Diaries: Celebrating 2 Years Antidepressant Medication-Free - January 31, 2024
- Veganuary Special Recipe! Purple Sweet Potato: Loaded with Love - January 6, 2024
- 2023 Year’s End: Connection, Reflection, and Gratitude - December 14, 2023
- My Shye - December 14, 2023